Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tarifa, Spain - Tangier and Fes, Morocco

I'm a bit behind, but I'm going to start blogging about my trips so far this summer. I started the whole trip back on May 31st by flying into Malaga, Spain with my friend Heather from University of Edinburgh. We got into Malaga around 5 and then took 3 buses to get to Tarifa, the southern most point in Spain and largely a surf town. Here's a picture of me in front of the entrance into Tarifa's old town.
We spent the night in a hostel, and then in the morning we took a 45 minute ferry that took us to Tangier Morocco. There we met Bryan, a fellow USC student who had also been in Edinburgh for the semester. We had enough time to stop by the beach for about 30 minutes before getting on the train to Fes.
Here's a picture of Fes from inside the Medina (the old town of Moroccan cities, which are surrounded by a city wall), as well as a picture of Bryan, Heather and I just outside of the Medina walls


While there, we met some young Moroccans studying languages in Fes who helped show us around. Most of their English was very good, one of them actually about to graduate with a masters in English and Spanish from the local university. Here's Achmed leading Bryan and I through the Medina
The also gave us our first experience of Moroccan mint tea, which I'd be having at least once per day (if not 3 times) for the rest of my stay. We got to watch one of their sisters make the tea, and found that the recipe seams to be 80% green tea, 20% mint leaves, and more sugar than I ever thought could be possible.

No comments: