Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ceilidh

I've been to a few Ceilidhs (pronounced Cay-Lee) while I've been here in Edinburgh. These are traditional Scottish dances that involve fast, bouncy Scottish folk music and a whole lot of spinning and bouncing around. The last one that I went to was a Ceilidh for May Day, on May 1st.

There ended up not being a good picture to see me dancing in all my glory, but you can see the back of me here. I'm the one on the right in the white shirt and I seem to be doing a move where you grab your partner by both hands and spin around. Also important to note: the crazy looking Scott on the left. No, he was not hired by the club to teach people to dance. He was real and just showed up for a good time.

Here's the band! They tend to be very friendly folk, joking around while they play. Each song has a specific dance that goes along with it, so they explain how to do each dance before playing so that everyone can join in.

And here we all are afterward, nice and sweaty. I believe I was actually pretty sore the next morning from the workout.

No comments: