Friday, February 22, 2008

Music Post: Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come"

Hola everybody!

After posting this last post, I found out how to post music to these blog things. I thought I'd give it a test run and put up a few posts from time to time with some of my favorite songs. I'll try to share some songs that I think you guys will enjoy too, and try to keep the pretentiousness level down as far as I can. Here's my first one:

The song "A Change is Gonna Come" has been one of my favorite songs from the past year or so. While Sam Cooke is best known for his kid-friendly songs like "Twistin' the Night Away," he began a shift in style after the death of his son and a run in with some racist motel owners in Louisiana who had him arrested for trying to stay in a white-only motel. This song is Sam Cooke's response to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind." Besides becoming an anthem for the civil rights movement, it's also just quite the pretty song. Click on the player below to listen.

No comments: