Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Night with Origin Records

I finally had my show, A Night with Origin Records, last night. It was probably the most nerve-racking thing I have ever done, but it ended up being very rewarding. As the artists came in, I heard a lot of "hey...i'm just happy to get together with all you guys. It's ok if not many people show up." At about 5 minutes to show time, I think we may have had 30 people there, not even filling half of the main seating area. Not looking good.


Luckily, this was apparently due to LA's lovely traffic/LA people not caring about getting anywhere on time. Over the next hour, people kept trickling in, and we had completely filled up the place by about 9pm. Some paparazzi even showed up at some point. I think I saw Britney Spears flashing a few body parts. All the signs of a successful event in LA.

Later in the show, Matt Jorgensen of Origin announced the show as the "First Annual LA Origin Records Jazz Party," and they are now thinking about making this a yearly project to have USC students in my class promote a concert for Origin Records in LA, which would be quite exciting.


Kim Richmond, Thomas Marriott and Chris Walden


Matt Jorgensen wrapping up the show


For the finale, everyone came to the stage to play Kim Richmond's arrangement of "Yardbird Sweet," written for 6 horns, which he had just happened to finish 2 days before.


Here I am at my post collecting cover charges

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Jeff,

Your hard work and motivation clearly paid off in the long-run! I am so proud of your dedication! You are an inspiring student and I look forward to be graced by your presence in the future. Please teach me how you manage to be so successful and beautiful simultaneously!

dwatkinstx said...

What a great expereience. I wish I could hve been there (even if it didn't go as well as it did).

dwatkinstx said...

What a great expereience. I wish I could hve been there (even if it didn't go as well as it did).

Watkins said...

Well Done Jeff!!! I wish we could have been there.

Emily